So… Oatmeal is not low carb (which has been my goal lately), but it’s tasty and the baby (who’s now 10 months old with 5 teeth!) has decided he prefers his food warm, so it’s an easy breakfast when I don’t feel like making eggs. (Plus daddy always makes eggs for breakfast, so it’s a bit of a change.)
I wanted to see if I could make it less carb-heavy, so I opened the cabinet and found: walnuts! Turns out these babies (which are really good for your brain, btw) have 0 net carbs (total carbs – fiber). Sweet!
Pumpkin spice oatmeal:
- 1/2 cup oats (27g net carbs)
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped super-fine but not into powder (0 net carbs)
- 1 cup water
- Butter (if desired)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (6g net carbs)
- Pumpkin pie spice / sea salt (to taste)
- Put oats, walnuts, water, and butter into a small pot, stir.
- Turn flame on high to start the water boiling, then (when boiling) reduce heat to low. Stir occasionally.
- When texture looks good to you (depending on how mushy you like your oats), add pumpkin, and stir to combine (and heat the pumpkin).
- Add pumpkin pie spice and sea salt to taste.
- Sweeten with banana nut jam (if you’re looking enough to have a friend who makes it and brings it to you when she comes to visit), or bananas, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc. to taste.
Makes about 2 cups.
WITHOUT sweetener, 33g net carbs (8.25g net carbs per 1/2 cup)